20 July 2008

Oh I DO like this one!!

Click on image to enlarge in new window


Sometimes when something just doesn't sit 'right', then you need to fiddle with it a bit - and the last few layouts I did .. they just didn't feel right.

I opted to go with the Prairie Queen block - this block will have the same blue, but the greens will be scrappy - I'm going to use as much of the dark and light green from the Big Ohio as possible and use other greens that are close to it to fill in the spaces.

I have another fabric that has red flowers, blue berries on a cream background - I think that that is a better choice for the smaller ohio blocks .. now i might not have quite enough, but I have a few other fabrics that I can use as well that will work very well with it.

I moved the Underground Railroad blocks inwards one 'ring' and moved the prairie queen blocks outward - that puts the light closer to the browns and seemed to make a huge difference .. it changed the whole look of the quilt. And now the browns seem to be more balanced ... I took the one set out with the red dots on a background that made it seem to blend in with the rest of the quilt .. I think that also made a huge difference .. i did NOT like that blending spot at all!

This is pretty close to how it's going to end up - of course the greens and some of the blues will be different fabrics, but they are very close in tone to what i have used here.

I'm giving a kudos to myself and a kick in the backside as well .. i discovered the reason that quilt pro wasn't taking my fabric scans .. twit for brains here, had the images to large - they are supposed to be no larger than 100k bah! :S **shakes head** So this layout was actually done in quilt pro and paws are crossed that the library holds this time .. I'm still upgrading when I can tho - this version is so old that my serial number wasn't accepted when I tried to upgrade before. I'll call them this time and see if I can't push it through that way.

Welp - it's late and I didn't want to be up at 4am ... but I am tired, so that's good news .. I'll be asleep shortly

**kittyhappydance**

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Grace! I think you've got it (at least until the next time your brain goes off on a wander - mine does that all the time!!!!)... It's got balance, a little zing, and, while it's not BLAH (blendy-blendy), no one part sticks out. I guess what I'm trying to say, I think it looks like everything belongs where it is.

    And, since you asked, NO, I didn't think the Chimney Sweep blocks were TOO busy but I think I definitely like this better.
    Bobbie in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. WTG Grace!!! I really do like it this way, way to endure! shawna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you were able to come up with something that you're happy with. Samplers and medallon quilts can both be challenging to design but I'm sure you'll love the resulting quilt. I do the same thing when I'm designing (although I use EQ6), keep changing things until it works for ME!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous21 July, 2008

    Absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty... too many pieces for me though!!! I love the color choices.
    Marge

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous25 July, 2008

    Wow Grace ~ I'll cheer you on from the sideline!!!!
    Looks great thus far....will watch for the completed piece down the track!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visit. Please feel free to post a comment .. I love to get them ;)